Aug 13th, 2019
"The problem with false beliefs is we have to make them come true in order to be true to ourselves."
-Dr. Maxwell Maltz
The content in this episode is pulled from Dr. Maxwell Maltz's book Psycho-Cybernetics.
Here's a simple definition of "False Beliefs".
These are typically "I am" statements that are untrue when you really evaluate their meaning.
For example, I am bad at math. I am ugly. I don’t have a mechanical type of mind. I am not smart. I am unworthy of success. I don’t deserve success.
If you heard someone say any of these statements, you would very likely push back on them and suggest they rethink the statement. Yet, we consistently have statements like these that we say and are committed to in our lives.
Here’s how this could show up in your life.
- Does something always happen to you when success is within reach?
- Do you secretly feel unworthy of success or like you don’t deserve it?
- Perhaps, you are uncomfortable around other people?
- Do you feel inferior to some people?
- Maybe you believe other people are hostile to you and unfriendly?
Do you sometimes feel anxious or fearful in an otherwise safe situation? Maybe you feel the world you live in is hostile, unfriendly, dangerous, or that you deserve punishment.
Behavior and feeling spring from belief.
To root out these false beliefs, ask yourself “why”?
If you hang back from doing something, ask yourself “why?” If you believe you can’t do something, ask yourself, “why?”
Why do I believe I can’t do this? Is the belief based on an actual fact or an assumption? A false conclusion?
Use these 4 questions to get clarity around your belief.
- Is there any rational reason for this belief?
- Could it be that I’m wrong about this belief?
- Would I come to the same conclusion about some other person in a similar situation?
- Why should I continue to act and feel as if this were true if there is no good reason to believe it?
You can use this form to dive deeper into this process and get some feedback on your responses.
False Beliefs Brainstorming Form - https://gillettesolutions.com/ep-16/
Music on this episode by:
Delectatio - Our Secret