Listening is not easy. Ask any parent, boss, or spouse and they'll confirm that one! To listen well requires work. Here's some reality about listening.
- We talk at a rate of 125 words per minute but can comprehend 400 words per minute.
- Less than 2 percent of people have had any formal education on how to listen.
- Images reside in your long-term memory, whereas words live in your short term memory.
All this to say, we are in an uphill battle! But the WISER way to listen will help. Here it is in a nutshell.
- Wait for permission to speak and be okay with silence.
- Imagine their story, use all your senses.
- Summarize what has been said, when appropriate.
- Engage by asking questions, taking notes, making noises, and making eye contact.
- Review what you heard later that day so you can recall what you heard.
If you like what you heard in this episode, please subscribe and review this podcast. If you would like to support this podcast, please visit https://www.patreon.com/sagemindset
Music on this episode
Jaron Stanage - SAGE Theme